Thursday 30 April 2020

I'm re-encoding my videos

The short version of this post is that here are my three 3D travel video playlists:

Formatted for VR headsets or red & blue stereoscopic glasses


https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvIdjZp47QFcfeGQk3dIq69etRtUDSZ_N

You can watch this on an Oculus Rift, using either YouTube VR or DeoVR video players.  I think it looks best on DeoVR, but DeoVR requires a few more button clicks, and doesn't always work.

Alternatively, you can watch these directly on YouTube, in anaglyph format, with red and blue glasses.

Side by side format for 3D TV


https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvIdjZp47QFdgLVFTOLbRi8Xv1LSZwmS2

3D Travel videos in LR / SBS format.  You can view these on a 3D TV, choosing left on left & right on right.

For Mobile Phone 3D Viewers like Google Cardboard


Videos in 3D side by side format for simple mobile phone 3D viewers such as Google cardboard.

Note: This format is not suitable for 3D televisions or the Oculus rift.

YouTube is driving me nuts!

The reason I'm re-encoding my videos is that YouTube changed the way stereoscopic videos need to be uploaded, encoded, or tagged a few times, until no-one knew how to do it anymore.  YouTube's help for encoding 3D videos has been useless for years.

Luckily, a few weeks ago, I was told about this video, which explains how to do it properly.


I've managed to re-encode and upload one video so far, while another video is not being not recognized by YouTube as 3D.  The one that works used to work in DeoVR, but doesn't right now.  So, at the moment you can watch one video in this format on YouTube VR.


Having two little children doesn't leave me with much time for YouTubing, but whenever I have a spare moment I'll try to re-encode and add videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment